Monday, October 6, 2008

Flash Drive

About two and half years ago, my friend Jerry at work bought a 1 gig flash drive. He needed to save data from the computer we used to do vibration testing on our parts. He told me that he submitted the receipt for reimbursement, but if he had to it would come from his own pocket and he was alright with that. This was in late spring 2006 and his 1 gig Flash Drive cost about $90.

Lori wanted to use Quicken on my laptop to enter receipts and balance the checking account. This is Quicken 2002 and I was able to install on my laptop very easily. The next step was to backup the data from the desktop in the basement and restore to the Quicken Program on the laptop. Sounds easy right?

I made several attempts to backup the file onto a CD to no avail. I managed to copy the backup file from the Desktop Hard Drive to a CD but my laptop wouldn't read it. We asked Adam if we could use his 1 gig Flash Drive that I bought him at Circuit City for $6; he said he left it at school, and he forgot to bring it home today. We asked him to bring it home! Teenagers!!!

So Lori and Adam went to Wal*Mart tonight among the few items Lori wanted to purchase was our own Flash Drive. She called me soon after she left asking my opinion on what size memory to get. I told her that I thought 1 gig should be enough but two would definitely work. She said that if she could find a 2 gig for about $5 more than a 1 gig would get it.

Well, she came home with a 2 Gigabyte Flash Drive for under $13! The price on those sure has dropped since the Spring of 2006, although gas prices are considerably higher. I opened the Flash Drive from the packaging, no doubt not an easy task. and was able to back up the Quicken file from the desktop easily.

My trusty laptop restored the file in a second and all the old data was there. It was very simple. It won't break and I will take care of it. It was a good investment, and much cheaper than it would have been two years ago.


No comments: