Friday, November 21, 2008

I have cool kids!

JCI has cut back on all overtime that means that I didn't work today. Last Friday I worked 10 hours overtime and Lori had to reschedule my dentist appointment. Today, I stayed home. Last night was Survivor night and we were under a Lake Effect Snow warning so I stayed up late and watched Lettermen on TV and Pushing Daisies, the last two episodes on my laptop, hoping that school would be canceled.

Morning came a little early not only because the late hour I went to sleep but also because of the two mojitos and then Rum and Cokes--well, Rum and Diet Coke with Lime, and after that I drank one or two Molsons; I am not sure of the count. I woke to get Adam and Evan to school feeling groggy and wanting to sleep more. Evan was very co-operative and Adam wore sunglasses to look cool as he went to school for final exams. After their bus left I went back to bed for an hour. I got Nathan up and after he rejected my clothing choices for him, he got dressed in what he wanted to wear and had peanut butter T-O-A-S-T cut into two triangles and apple juice. He complimented by saying, "this is a good breakfast."

He got his boots and coat on while I brought the trash bin back into the garage and then I drove him to school. Halfway to school he said he didn't have his gloves. I asked him to check his coat pockets and he said that they weren't there. I asked him to check his backpack and he said that they weren't there. I took off my right hand glove and asked him to try it on. His hand slipped easily into my glove but he was unhappy with the way his fingers only went half way into the glove. He took off my glove and threw it a me. "My hands are going to get cold at recess." Nathan said in a very pointed manner. "Where are they?" I asked him. "On the kitchen table." He replied


As we got closer to his school, Lakeshore, the road was quite iced over. Which is only fitting considering that the Lakeshore was hit with 10-12 inches of snow from South Haven to Benton Harbor. I dropped Nathan off at school and drove home and went back to bed. Later, Lori found Nathan's gloves in her coat pocket where she put them when he handed them to her at the store. She asked me what gloves he wore to school and I told her that he didn't, and they were not on the kitchen table where he said they were. "You should have asked when you got back." She said quite soundly. I had to laugh about it. Nathan's gloves were in HER coat pocket and she was upset with me that I didn't know where they were. If I had hid his gloves in my pocket and she couldn't find them I know she would be upset with me, but when she hides his gloves in her coat pocket and I can't find them it is my fault that Nathan does not have his gloves. If they were on the kitchen table, I would have driven back to Lakeshore and given them to him. As it was, I went back to bed thinking that they were in Nathan's backpack in the "secret compartment.

Last week Nathan picked up the finished part of the basement and put away all his toys, guys and action figures that had evaded the area. He put them back into the red toy room where they belong. He worked hard and I was proud of him. I told him that he would get a prize for his hard work.

Our desktop compute downstairs is running slow and is just a bit outdated, well it's at least five years old. Computer Technology gets outdated very quickly. For the past year, we have a stick of RAM, 256 MG, sitting on top of the dishwasher. At times it seems that half our lives sit on top of the dishwasher. Isn't that what flat surfaces are for? So yesterday, I asked Adam to help me install the RAM stick in the downstairs desktop computer. I unplugged the computer opened it up and vacuumed out the pound of dust that settled into it. Can dust mites hack a computer? Maybe that is why it has been running slow.

Together Adam and I put the RAM stick in the mother board and then I tested the computer and discovered that we now have a whopping 512 MG of RAM. My laptop has 2 GB of RAM, the same amount as our fabled Flash Drive. I asked Adam to put the computer back together and plug everything back into the mini tower unit. The benefit of having a child with Asperger's is that he knows how everything was and will return all elements back to their proper places and settings.

Then, he and I went to D&W and got beer, wine and food. Friday night is Soup Night, which means we watch The Soup at 10 pm. Soup Night means the kids need snacks. Nathan's reward for picking up the basement was an Oscar Meyer Lunchable, Turkey and American Cheese with a Reese's Peanut Butter Cup. The kid loves peanut butter. I got Flaming Hot Cheetos Crunch for Evan and Nathan to eat during The Soup. Adam picked out a box of sour candy for himself as a reward for helping with the computer.

The smiles on their faces was worth it. Adam did a great job and he did earn a treat. Nathan was thrilled with Lunchable and both Evan and Nathan were elated to have their Flaming Hot Cheetos. They ate have of their bags Friday night and finished them Saturday afternoon.

Today, I watched Michigan lose to OSU and was able download the program to make Adam's Flip Video Camera that he got last Christmas to work. He finally was able to edit and upload his videos to You Tube.

Evan played his DS and played Incredible Machine on the desktop. They are excited to watch Robot Chicken tonight. They are trying to negotiate to watch Bleach at 1 am. They are cool. They know what they like and are thrilled to do it.










No comments: