Friday, September 19, 2008

Last Friday of the Summer

Today, I drove Nathan to school and passed again Riley Woods Trail. It is a scenic wooded walking and cross country skiing trails. The trails wind through natural woods and an old Pine Plantation. I have been there before, but it has been awhile.

So today as I headed for home from Nathan's school, I stopped there. It was a beautiful morning and the sun was shining on me as I walked across the footbridge over Riley Lake and headed into the woods. The trails are cleverly marked yellow, blue and red.

I walked on the yellow marked trails and then wandered over to the blue trail. They are marked with color spray paint on the trees. I got turned around twice wandered off the blue onto the red trail and got turned around again. I headed toward Riley thinking I was close to the parking lot but I came out onto Riley Road.



I didn't panic I headed back on the blue trail heading East until I saw a sign for Riley Lake and turned right and headed for the lake. I walked back into the sun and headed for the footbridge. As I approached the bridge, a Golden Retriever came running toward me. The dog belonged my friend Tom who owns Book Village; I was surprised to see him there.

It was my intention to cross the bridge from both directions, but somehow I managed to walk too far West and too far North. Tom said to me, "you must have been on the red trail." So, after he left I walked across the bridge and back again and then I drove home.

Later, I mowed the lawn, showered, shaved, and picked up Nathan. On the way home, I got gas in the truck and then went home. It was a rather peaceful day and summer is peacefully sliding into autumn. I will return to those woods again.

No comments: