Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Pearl Harbor Day and the Day After.

I woke up Sunday with a headache on the left side of my face, and my stomach was churning. I thought I was going to throw up. I was all set to go to church. I was planning on it, but when my alarm went off all I could do was try to sleep some more. I woke up at 9:17 and knew I couldn't make it on time. I went back to bed again, and didn't get up until Lori offered to make me breakfast again. Two days in a row she made me breakfast! I could hardly believe it. She made scrambled eggs and biscuits and gravy. We ran out of gravy so I finished off the biscuits with Country Crock and honey. I prefer butter, but there wasn't any softened.
I brought the tree into the house and the remaining snow melted and dripped off of it for more than an hour. Adam had all ready brought up the Christmas decorations and tree ornaments from the basement. He was ready to get the tree decorated before the tree was ready to be decorated.


I started bringing the tree into the house, carrying it stand and all out of the garage, Adam started shoveling the snow off the front sidewalk and steps. Had he started that 10 min earlier, it would have been great. As it turned out he was still shoveling and wouldn't put down the shovel to help me guide the tree into the house. I ranted when the job was over because the Blue Spruce's needles were scratching my arms and legs through my South Park pajamas I was wearing.

I got frustrated with everyone for not helping me and even more frustrated when the stand came loose just as I was setting the tree down. That is when I really lost my cool. After Lori, helped me get the tree back into the stand, I ranted to everyone. I just felt prickly, scratchy, a little sore and frustrated.

After the tree dried off, I put up the lights. Lori called me on her cell phone after I showered and asked me to check the lights to see if we needed any additional strings of lights. Nathan and I checked them and found one that was dead and two more that had some burned out. I was able to replace some of the burned out bulbs from the dead string enough so that only two or three were burned out.

I called Lori back on her cell phone and told her to get two or three strands. She was standing right by them and told me what Walgreen's had. I asked her to get 2 packages of 300 lights. I only used one, but we have at least one other that I did use that won't see another Christmas.
I got the lights on the tree, and then Lori vacuumed around it and put the tree skirt under the tree. Then Lori put the garland on the tree, which then began the tradition of placing the ornaments. Each child has his own box of ornaments and in the box is a list of every ornament he has received or made since his birth. Lori reads the list and helps the child find his ornament and then the child places the ornament on the Christmas tree or has his father and/or eldest brother help him.

When Nathan's turn was over, he took of his mother's gloves from his hand. These were her leather gloves that he used to protect his hands from the Blue Spruce's needles. He never hung an ornament on the tree. Adam and I did it for him.

Then came Evan's turn. He hung most of his own ornaments. I helped him with the heavier ones to find stronger branches. There was no drama or confusion with Evan. He was happy to have his ornaments on the tree. He would get excited about his favorite ones and the place he found for them.

When his turn was done, Adam began. He used the list himself, but he decided to be more selective this year and not hang every ornament he owns. He said he wanted to save room for Lori and I to hang some of ours. Lori didn't want to put any of hers on the tree. I picked five of mine, and Adam hung them.

After that was done, we ate hamburgers for dinner. I went to D&W to get pickles while Lori cooked the burgers, but I couldn't find the Clausens we like best. So, I came home with three tomatoes, a six pack of Labatt's Blue Light and a bottle of wine. We can buy beer and wine on Sundays now, so I bought some--only because I could.

While we were decorating the Christmas Tree, Lori saw a mouse in the kitchen. Her shriek startled me more than the mouse. I thought my brave sons, Evan and Nathan would help me chase it outside, but they cowered away instead. Evan said, "I didn't want to catch it because it would bite me and I would get rabies. What are rabies?" I set two traps for the mouse and this morning, I found it dead in the trap inside the cold air return vent. The cover is loose so the mouse escaped from me into the vent area.

Today when I got home, Lori wanted to use the snow blower. I helped her start it and she used the snow blower on the driveway, while I showered. She came back in smelling of 2 cycle engine fuel, changed her clothes and used some perfume, and we headed off to Logan's for dinner. From our vantage point in the Buick, Logan;s looked too busy so we went to Red Robin instead.

Evan had the 5 Alarm burger. Nathan ordered and he did order quite nicely, the Cheesy Mac N' Cheese. Adam got the Clucks and Fries because he had hamburgers two nights in a row. Lori got the Steak Fajitas, and I got the Pulled Pork BBQ burger, a true fork and knife sandwich.

Lori and I dropped the kids off at home and went to Wal*Mart to get yellow mustard, pickles and coffee. We also got a few presents for our children. We came home and helped Nathan with his homework and while doing so, we hear a crash downstairs. Evan had thrown a burned-out light bulb in the basement and broke it. His punishment was to sweep it up and throw it away. He was OK with that.

Adam set another mouse trap. I am off to bed now.

No comments: