Saturday, August 23, 2008

Day of Wine, Birdseeds and Heavy Lifting

I haven't met a glass of wine, yet, that I haven't liked and this afternoon was no exception. It was at Megan Hunt's wedding reception. I wasn't invited to the wedding, but I made it to the reception. The appetizers were delicious and I was able to impress a few of my fellow Peace Lutheran members with my self taught chopstick skills. Megan's students made chopsticks with Chinese poetry inscribed on them. She asked that everyone take a set. I took one set but before I left I saw that many were left, so I took two more sets and brought them home for Evan and Nathan who like to use them as well. Evan really tries to use them and has some success with them. They were really happy that I gave them real, authentic Chinese chopsticks.
The wine I drank was white and chilled and tasted really good. I was teased for taking several trips to the table where the wine was and even more for pouring it myself, when Julie would have gladly poured it for me. I demonstrated my wine pouring skills by turning the bottle as I finished pouring to prevent dripping. Dave Barnett thought that I did well.
It was a good reception. I didn't dance though as I have at other wedding receptions mostly because Lori wasn't there. Megan had a laptop set up with a camera. The idea was that everyone was to write a message to them and then they could put the message in their photo album along the message. I just wrote something out to Megan and Kyle and decided to forgo the photo. I don't like getting my picture taken and I really didn't think they wanted my picture anyway. They don't have to keep my message but I hope they read it.
I left soon after Megan and Kyle left. We through bird seed at them; the bird seed was kept in red sacks with Chinese print on them.
At 9 am this morning I walked to Jennifer's trailer to help her pack up all her belongings. Jennifer has moved to Grand Rapids. It was humid and I and the other guys loaded all her worldly possessions in under two hours. I walked home hot and sweaty, took a shower and ate lunch. I made lunch for Evan and Nathan and then took a nap. I woke up around 2. I groomed myself, got dressed and then drove to Target where I purchased a gift card for Megan and Kyle.
Like I said, the wine was good.


No comments: