Friday, February 6, 2009

I don't know if it's the cold winter days or just pure laziness, but on Fridays, my day off work I hardly do anything at all and it is driving my wife crazy. I know she is angry at me for not doing much, and that money is really tight right now. I am not working any overtime. Today she told me that we might have to stop cable and/or internet. But there is no way she would consider stopping her $50 a month cell phone service. Either one of us is going to have to take a second job or she gets a full-time job. Overtime has been discontinued at my work, and considering the fact that I work in automotive, the fact that I am working at all is quite astonishing to me, indeed.

Anyway, I overslept this morning and had to drive the older two to school. Evan's expression on his face when his bus pulled up infront of our house was priceless. He started to change his clothes quickly and then he said, "you didn't get me up in time." He was right and I was already dressed. I walked out his bus and told his bus driver that Adam and Evan weren't ready at all. I did ask her what time she got them to school--Adam at 7:30 Evan 7:40. I was six minutes behind their usual time, but they weren't late.

I drove the boys to school in Lori's car, because all week long the Blazer's breaks have been hard to operate. It took all my strength in my right leg to press on the peddle. I got home, slightly delayed by a garbage truck that was blocking traffic, woke Nathan up and began the battle for comfortable clothes. The pants I picked out for him were too tight and the shirt was unconfortable. The sweat pants were good but the shirt had buttons. The third shirt has a zipper and isn't comfortable when it is zipped up all the way.

"Don't zip it all the way" I said.
"I have to." Nathan said. "It's my way."
I replied, "Change your way and you can wear that shirt."
"Nope, I"m not doing it."

Who does he think he is, George Herbert Walker Bush. perhaps? Well the young president-in-training wanted T-O-A-S-T for breakfast and was upset that I did not provide him with a large glass of orange juice and gave him a regular sized juice glass. He drinks too much orange juice. I want him to continue to drink it because I think it has really made him healthy. He drank his juice, ate half of his peanut butter toast--yes peanut butter, because we are choosy and we choose JIFF, which has not been recalled.

JIFF peanut butter was originally made by Proctor and Gamble who later sold it to Smucker's. Smucker's has maintained the quality of JIFF but has added new varieties under the JIFF label. Our future president, Nathan, did get dressed in a shirt he chose and then ate. We left home at 8:35 and not 8:30 because I read his lips and knew he was missing a glove, just as I was ready to back out of the garage. I went inside the house and got him another pair of gloves and drove him to school.

I came home, drank coffee and sat at the kitchen table with Lori. I paid the mortgage payment and updated our checking account. I then drove to Tuffy. A vacuum hose was disconnected which is why the Blazer idled high and the breaks were hard. Now, they are soft and the Blazer sometimes runs like it is missing. Well, it needs a tune up.

I picked Nathan up at school in Lori's car drove to Family Fare and bought a loaf of bread and Organic Romaine Hearts, which were on sale. I then filled Lori's car up with gas and drove home. While I was shopping, Nathan stayed in the car and ate his popcorn he bought at school. Fridays are popcorn Fridays.

I didn't do much at all, but for some reason I am really tired. We are going to Benton Harbor tomorrow to celebrate Adam's birthday on his birthday.





No comments: