Wednesday, May 2, 2007

It's happening again

I work for a place that spent over, from what I heard, a million dollars on a machine to make a unique product. The problem is that this machine is down a lot and we have to work weekends to make up for the loss of production. How many Sundays will we have to work until this problem is solved? I wonder if it will be solved.

My co-workers are feeling the despair I have felt for a very long time--the feeling that this project will fail. There are problems all around. Approximately 20 per cent of everything we make is out of specifications. We have to air freight parts to our customers so they can have them before we shut them down.

All around this a bleak situation. Part of me thinks that it has to come together, because it is supposed to.

I think back to something I learned about three years ago; "chaos is normal." We think we can create order but we can't. Everything around falls apart or is falling apart. Happiness is found we accept the normalcy of chaos and move from there.

I accept the chaos that is happening at work, but I don't want it to control all aspects of my life either. I don't want to work 12 hours a day, seven days a week. I want my weekends and time at home. This is not too much to expect.

No comments: